Monday, August 8, 2011

Simple Man

"To thine own self be true..." ~ Shakespeare

As I take my son by the hand and lead him to bed, I forget all the events of the day.  They seem insignificant as I fix his pillow and pull the covers around him.  Kneeling to pray at his bedside, I ask that we place our hands together and close eyes...

I Thank God for my family... for keeping us safe and healthy, yet another day.  I pray for a restful night's sleep.  I pray for angels to watch over my son and wake him with the morning light... In Jesus' name we pray, Amen.  Standing once more, I lean over and give him a hug and kiss.  We say our, "I love you's," and he turns over... already drifting off to dreamland.

Slowly I walk to the door ~  and pause.  I have a few more prayers for my precious son's 'right now' as well as his future.  I pray he's learning to be respectful, make good decisions, be thankful for what he's given ... I pray I'm being the mother he needs me to be.

I open my eyes... and for now he's still just a little boy, tucked in under the covers.  Someday, I'll open them to see a much different boy, at least on the outside.  Quietly, I turn out the light and close the door...

My innermost mother's hope for my son is true happiness.  I hope he follows his heart, and most importantly...remembers there is someone up above.

I hope he's a simple kind of man... 


Mama told me when I was young
Come sit beside me, my only son
And listen closely to what I say
And if you do this it'll help you some sunny day

Oh, take your time don't live too fast
Troubles will come and they will pass
Go find a woman you'll find love
And don't forget son there is someone up above

And be a simple kind of man
Be something you love and understand
Baby be a simple kind of man
Oh, won't you do this for me son if you can?

Forget your lust for the rich man's gold
All that you need is in your soul
And you can do this, oh baby, if you try
All that I want for you my son is to be satisfied

And be a simple kind of man
Be something you love and understand
Baby be a simple kind of man
Oh, won't you do this for me son if you can? Oh yes, I will

Boy, don't you worry you'll find yourself
Follow your heart and nothing else
And you can do this, oh baby, if you try
All that I want for you my son is to be satisfied

And be a simple kind of man
Be something you love and understand
Baby be a simple kind of man
Oh, won't you do this for me son if you can?

Baby be a simple, be a simple man
Be something you love and understand
Baby be a simple kind of man...

 Simple Man ~ Lynyrd Skynyrd



Train up a child in the way he should go; 
even when he is old he will not depart from it.
~ Proverbs 22:6

6 comments:

  1. Megan, I like your post with your son. They grow so quickly and one day the mother discovers he is becoming a man. A mother loses him little by little to his father's footsteps as she watches them walk together. He looks to his daddy in wanting to be a man just like him.
    One day he discovers his mother again in the woman of his dreams. He thinks, "I know this woman is like my mom because I feel so comfortable around her!" He remembers then all the wonderful things that make up a mother, all the love his mother still holds for her son. His mother then watches with pride that he has found someone that reminds her of who she was when first being married and being a mother for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow August... that is just so beautifully said. Right now, at the age of 4, he's very close to me, but I see him yearning to be like Daddy... It's hard to imagine him (as he sits here on my lap while I type) a high school grad, going off on his own, and meeting "the one". I hope someday he finds a good woman who's a nice match for him, someone who'll love and care for him... almost as much as his mother :)

    Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The song, Simple Man, was written by the band members of Lynyrd Skynyrd remembering advice from their mothers and other women... they wrote everything down on scraps of paper and used that to piece together the verses...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tears are POURING from my eyes, girl!!! I have been anticipating a quiet moment to read your latest posts!!! SO worth the wait. I echo every word in this post...
    God Bless and Guide...mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janet, I thought you might like this one... I was inspired by a few of your poems about your children, and then 'Simple Man' was the mother-son dance at my cousin's wedding reception. Everything just fell in to place.

    I love your new poetry & ocean pics. Hope you had a relaxing time with your family :)

    ReplyDelete

“Kind words can be short and easy to speak,
but their echoes are truly endless.”

~ Mother Teresa