Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Father's Love

Ever since I was a little girl I've loved flowers... lilac and lavender, to name a few.  Maybe this love stems from the love I have for my daddy.  There's just a special place in a girl's heart for her father.  In my father's heart there's a special place for his gardens.  So there is in mine as well.  Much of my time spent truly talking with him has been in a garden.  It's our common ground, you might say.

When I was a child our relationship was so easy and carefree.  I'd ramble on, speaking about whatever popped in to my head. He would mostly just listen; putting his two cents in here or there.  Years passed, and our once close relationship grew ever more distant.  Instead of taking long walks with him through the garden, I was walking through the mall with friends, or going out somewhere with my boyfriend.  I missed our time together, but for whatever reason, in my teenage years we drifted further and further apart.  Coincidentally, during those years I lost almost all interest in the garden. 

Teenage years gave way to young adulthood, and life got busy in a hurry.  I was attending college, making plans to be married, then planning for a baby.  As I settled in to my new home with my new family, I felt a nudge to be outdoors again.  I remembered some things about gardening from when I was younger, but I needed more.  I needed my daddy's words of advice and encouragement.  So began the path of me drawing closer to my father through many, many questions and walks through the garden. 

The day has returned where I can talk with my dad about whatever pops in to my head.  He gives straightforward advice, and still helps guide me in many challenges of life.  He's a true example of The Father in my everyday existence.  You know, my experiences with my earthly father coincide pretty closely with my Heavenly Father.  Going to Sunday school, singing 'Jesus Loves Me,' there was never a doubt in my mind.  I loved Him and He loved me.  He still does today.  No matter what I've done, or will do, I'm forgiven and unconditionally loved.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. -John 3:16

There's just a special place in a girl's heart for her Father... and a special place in His for me.




1 comment:

“Kind words can be short and easy to speak,
but their echoes are truly endless.”

~ Mother Teresa